0 of 10 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 10 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
Did you know that /ʌ/ appears in lots of expressions with different meanings:
For a full explanation of these expressions, see our original article ‘UH Vowel Sound’.
1. Which speaker is northern?CorrectIncorrect
Which speaker pronounces the words YOUNG, DONE, LONDON, COMING, and COUNTRYSIDE with /ʊ/ instead of /ʌ/
2. Which order do you hear the words?
3. Which mouth position is ʌ?CorrectIncorrect
/ʌ/ is made with the jaw quite open, the tongue slightly back, and the lips are not rounded.
4. Match the transcriptions to the pictures:
5. Which is NOT a spelling of ʌ?CorrectIncorrect
6. Put the symbols in the order you hear them:
7. Which speaker is southern?
Which speaker says /ʌ/ in the underlined sounds: “I’m teaching my youngest grandson how to have fun without money.”
8. Which 3 words are NOT pronounced /ʌ/?CorrectIncorrect
9. Which pronunciation DOESN’T MAKE 2 possible words?
For example, /sʌm/ makes 2 words: SUM and SOME, whereas /rʌm/ makes one word: RUM.CorrectIncorrect
There is no right or wrong answer to this question.