0 of 9 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 9 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
Well done! Welcome to the 25% of English learners who know that LOSE is longer than LOOSE!
To take part in future polls and for regular pronunciation practice, follow Pronunciation Studio on Instagram.
1. Which word has a shortened vowel?CorrectIncorrect
Vowel sounds are shortened before voiceless consonant sounds: /p,t,k,f,θ,s,ʃ,tʃ/
2. Voiceless sounds are:CorrectIncorrect
Voiceless sounds are stronger because they involve more compression of air. Voiced sounds are softer. Think FORT and LENIENT.
3. Which word has a full length vowel sound?CorrectIncorrect
Vowels are full length if followed by one of the voiced consonants: /b,d,g,v,ð,z,ʒ,dʒ,m,n,ŋ,w,r,j,l/
4. What is the phonetic symbol for a reduced (half length) vowel sound:CorrectIncorrect
Full length is [ː] so remove the bottom half.
5. Which word is longer when you say it?CorrectIncorrect
Don’t trust the spelling. LOSE ends in a voiced consonant /z/, whereas LOOSE ends in a voiceless consonant /s/.
6. Match the sound to the animal:
7. Which word ends in /z/?CorrectIncorrect
8. Which picture shows the voice box (larynx):CorrectIncorrect
It isn’t in your mouth or your lungs. If it is in your feet you should see a doctor asap.
9. Which word ends in /s/?CorrectIncorrect