10 questions on /ŋ/:
0 of 10 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 10 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
By the way, did you know that no English words begin with /ŋ/?
Go here for more online pronunciation lessons or sign up to receive the weekly lessons email here.
1. Which speaker drops their Gs in the sentence?
“I was watching something on the telly and I heard this shouting and banging!”CorrectIncorrect
Listen carefully each person saying these words: WATCHING, SOMETHING, SHOUTING, BANGING.
2. Which is NOT a word:CorrectIncorrect
3. Match the transcriptions to their pictures:
4. Which is the mouth position for /ŋ/?CorrectIncorrect
/ŋ/ is a VELAR consonant sound, the tongue is raised at the back of the mouth.
5. Which n would NOT be pronounced /ŋ/ in connected speech:CorrectIncorrect
Which country name doesn’t begin with a /k/ or a /g/ sound? (Think about the sound not the spelling!)
6. Which 3 spellings could include the sound /ŋ/?CorrectIncorrect
7. Which speaker pronounces the /g/ in the NG words?
Listen carefully to the words WRONG, SING and KING. Which speaker adds a /g/ sound?
8. Which 2 sounds are made in the same place as /ŋ/?CorrectIncorrect
9. Which group are nasal sounds?
10. Do you pronounce -ING endings as /ɪn/ or /ɪŋ/?CorrectIncorrect
There’s no right or wrong answer here.